All users of South African roads are eligible for social insurance, should they be in an accident.  This includes passengers in a vehicle, pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, and those not involved in the road accident but who are severely affected (such as a minor child or remaining spouse).

You are able to claim against injuries sustained or death arising from an accident on the road.  It is run by the South African government and claimed funds are taken from the fuel levy.

Claims can be used for medical expenses, loss of earnings, loss of support, and general damages for pain and suffering.  This includes emotional shock and disfigurement, but only for serious injuries.

Claiming from the Road Accident Fund (RAF) can be a complicated matter, however.  It involves filling in legal forms, obtaining medical reports, lodging an affidavit, getting witness information, and other administrative requirements.  If these aren’t submitted without error, the claim may be rejected. That is why it is imperative that you have a lawyer handle the process for you.

  1. Grobbelar Incorporated have achieved remarkable results with client claims. These claims can run into values well exceeding a million rand. Our response times are rapid and we provide professional advice, even if there is no payout. We offer individualised service, and if we don’t win your RAF case you don’t pay anything.

For further information about the RAF and how we can assist you with your personal situation, you can contact us here.